Home

Jan 13, 2014

When Bangor made room for Rubens


Children and BBC artists weren't Bangor's only wartime evacuees. More than 500 priceless paintings from the National Gallery in London ...

Category: General
Posted by: Rhodri

were moved to the university's Prichard-Jones Hall days before the outbreak of war in 1939. Steel bars had already been fitted across the windows, for added security. The hall is named after the Anglesey man who financed its construction from the fortune he'd made in department stores in London, but it's been affectionately known as PJ Hall by generations of students who have danced, sweated over exam papers or received their degrees there. For more about this grand building, scan the QR codes in the lobby. Or click here