Home

Oct 21, 2015

Mining town's pioneer church


The Church in Wales separated from Britain's established Anglican church in 1920, but another five years passed before it built its first church, in Llay, near Wrexham. The ...

Category: General
Posted by: RhodriC

community had grown rapidly with the opening of what became Wales' biggest deep coal mine. The First World War had delayed both the mine's opening and the Church's disestablishment. The first Archbishop of Wales, who opened St Martin's Church in Llay, had lost a son in the war. For more on the building's history, scan the QR codes at the entrance to the churchyard. Or click here