Home

Mar 23, 2016

Magnate's locally sourced church


When Lancashire cotton magnate James Ormrod built a church near Ruabon in memory of his wife, he sourced most of the materials from the local area. Sandstone quarried on his ...

Category: General
Posted by: RhodriC

Bryn Penylan estate formed the walls, and furnishings and fittings were made of oak felled on the estate. For decorative tiles, he turned to James Coster Edwards, whose factories produced many of the terracotta objects and glazed bricks for which Ruabon was famed. James Ormrod always intended All Saints Church in Penylan to be for public worship, and he lived just long enough to witness its opening in 1889. For more about him and the building, scan the HistoryPoints QR codes in the church porch. Or click here