Coed Cyrnol reserve, Menai Bridge

Oct 22, 2017

Chapel which became a mosque


The Congregational Chapel in Victoria Road, Newport, is one of South Wales' most imposing chapels, built at great cost in the 1850s. Since 2008 it has been a mosque, reflecting ...

Category: General
Posted by: RhodriC

demographic and religious changes in the city. In 1904, when Welsh Nonconformism was at its height, a thief repeatedly stole from coat pockets in the chapel's lobby during services. When he was apprehended by a chapel warden he tried to run away but, unfortunately for him, the warden was an international footballer! For more about the building's history, scan the HistoryPoints QR codes outside the entrance. Or click here