Beaumaris war memorial
Beaumaris war memorial
The war memorial outside the Church of St Mary and St Nicholas commemorates the local people who died in the First and Second World Wars. Choose a category below to discover who they were.
We have included details of several men who had local connections but are not named on the memorial.
Where you see this icon, click on it to see our page in memory of the individual:
One of the men listed on the memorial, Charles Henry Bean, lived in Beaumaris after being evacuated as a schoolboy from Liverpool early in the Second World War. He was killed towards the end of the same war, while taking part in the liberation of Europe.
Postcode: LL58 8AB View Location Map
First World War
- Allen, John Edric Russell, Captain. Died 08/04/1918 aged 27. 16th (The Queen's) Lancers. Buried St. Sever Cemetery. Twice Mentioned in Despatches. Son of Russell and Blanche Allen of Davenham Hall, Northwich.
- Davies, D, Private. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
- Davies, David, Private 25075. Died 20/11/1917 aged 20. Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment). Buried Hermies Hill British Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs John Davies of 24, Crofton Place.
- Eardley, Henry, Private 2893. Died 19/08/1915 aged 34. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Helles Memorial. Lived with his wife Martha and their young son at 19 Stanley Street.
- Graham, N, Able Seaman. Royal Navy. Probably: Graham, Neil, Able Seaman J/24121. Died 02/08/1918 aged 21. Royal Navy - HMS Vehement. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Mr and Mrs K Graham of 538, New Chester Road, New Ferry, Birkenhead.
- Greenhalgh, H, Serjeant 6039. Died 12/03/1916 aged 28. Royal Engineers. Buried Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery. Son of John and Mary Greenhalgh of Bolton; husband of Martha Ann Greenhalgh of 46, New Street.
- Hargreaves, Richard Parry, Steward. Died 2/9/15 aged 30. Mercantile Marine - SS (HMT) Southland (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Son of John and Jane Hargreaves of Westminster Rd., Kirkdale, Liverpool. Born in Beaumaris. The Southland was a steam passenger ship converted to a troopship, torpedoed and seriously damaged on 2/9/15 while on voyage from Alexandria, Egypt, to Mudros, Greece. 40 lives were lost. Not named on Beaumaris war memorial.
- Hennessey, Maurice Patrick, Serjeant 10957. Died 05/04/1916 aged 20. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal. Basra Memorial. Son of Maurice and Mary Hennessey of Tan-y-Bryn.
- Hughes, Hugh, Serjeant 3/9199. Died 09/08/1915. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own). Helles Memorial.
- Hughes, Hughie, Corporal 20012. Died 01/07/1916 aged 22. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own). Buried Euston Road Cemetery. Son of Thomas and M Hughes of Castle.
- Hughes, Urias, Private 17371. Died 10/07/1916. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial.
- Hughes, William Simon, Company Sergeant Major 129767. Died 10/08/1918. Canadian Infantry. Vimy Memorial.
- Jones, Albert Edward, Private 265828. Died 24/11/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Cambrai Memorial.
- Jones, G H, Private 37510. Died 14/06/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Essex Farm Cemetery.
- Jones, Owen Robert, Private 6489. Died 16/05/1915. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Le Touret Memorial.
- Jones, Robert, Private 24719. Died 05/10/1916 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Essex Farm Cemetery. Son of Richard and Mary Jones of 18, Wexham Street.
- Jones, Robert Vernon, Private 301869.Died in Aldershot of pneumonia 29/03/1919 aged 27. Reserve Cavalry Regiment. Buried Beaumaris Cemetery. Son of Alderman W Jones JP and Mrs M E Jones of Tyddyn Friar, Llansadwrn. Enlisted on 5 August 1914, the day after war was declared, and served in various theatres of war including Egypt and Palestine with the Imperial Camel Corps and other regiments.
- Jones, W, Serjeant. Private 424974. Died 15/09/1916 aged 35. Canadian Highlands Regiment, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion. Courcelette British Cemetery. Son of William and Jane Jones, of 14, Elmfield Rd., Stockport. Native of Beaumaris.
- Lewis, O, Private 56738. Died 12/11/1918 aged 30. Machine Gun Corps. Buried St. Pol British Cemetery. Son of John Lewis of 26, Rating Row.
- Morris, W T, Private 424344. Died 06/06/1916 aged 22. Canadian Infantry. Buried Bedford House Cemetery. Son of Charles and Jane Perchard of 33, Wexham Street.
- Owen, D, Corporal. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
- Owen, Jonathan, Private 266542. Died 03/05/1917 aged 33. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Deir El Belah War Cemetery. Son of Griffith and Ellen Owen of Bryn Lodge.
- Owen, Richard B, Private 11171. Died 23/07/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Mory Abbey Military Cemetery. Husband of Mrs C Parker of 12, Market Street, Wrexham.
- Parry, John, Telegraphist Z/541. Died 02/08/1917 aged 24. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve - M.F.A. Ermine. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of John and Annie Parry of 1, Alma Street.
- Roberts, Duncan, Gunner 310205. Died 14/02/1917 aged 25. Royal Garrison Artillery. Buried Courcelles-Au-Bois Cemetery. Son of William and Ellen Roberts of 20, New Street.
- Roberts, Evan Henry, Sapper WR/193404. Died 12/04/1919 aged 29. Royal Engineers. Buried Kantara War Memorial Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs Henry Roberts of Glanydon; husband of Mary Roberts of Brynrefail, Tycroes, Anglesey.
- Roberts, J. Probably: Serjeant 99768. Died 09/12/1918. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry). Buried Solesmes British Cemetery.
- Roberts, John Griffith, Private 29541. Died 15/02/1917 aged 20. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Basra Memorial. Son of William and Grace Roberts of 13, Stanley Street. Not named on Beaumaris war memorial.
- Roberts, W Ll, Second Lieutenant. Died 06/11/1917 aged 22. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Beersheba War Cemetery. Son of David and Roberts of 8, Wexham Street.
- Sheehy, Edmund John, Company Serjeant Major 29524. Died 28/05/1918. Royal Engineers. Soissons Memorial.
- Sims, Wallis, Lance Corporal 44070. Died 06/02/1919 aged 29. Royal Engineers. Buried Devizes Cemetery. Son of Fredrick Sims; husband of E E E Sims of 27, Wexham Street. Born at Oxford. Worked as a gardener at Baron Hill, Beaumaris, before and after the war and was taken ill at Devizes, Wiltshire.
- Stanley, William, Private 3/7600. Died 02/05/1915 aged 36. Dorsetshire Regiment. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of Serjeant Major Lewis Stanley and Mary Stanley.
- Thomas, John Frederick, Private 40037. Died 19/05/1917 aged 22. South Wales Borderers. Arras Memorial. Son of Thomas and E Thomas of 8, Stanley Street.
- Thomas, Owen Richard, Stoker 1st Class 302231. Died 01/11/1914. Royal Navy - HMS Monmouth. Plymouth Naval Memorial.
- Thomas, William Eric, Second Lieutenant. Died 31/07/1917 aged 20. Machine Gun Corps. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of Evan and Catherine Thomas of 5, Raglan Street.
- Williams-Bulkeley, Richard Gerrard Wellesley, Major. Died of wounds on 28/03/1918 aged 31. Welsh Guards. Awarded Military Cross. Buried East Finchley Cemetery and St Marylebone Crematorium. Only son of Sir Richard and Lady Magdalen Williams-Bulkeley, of Baron Hill, Beaumaris; husband of Victoria Alexandra Sheila. Left a daughter and two sons.
- Williams, Arthur Trevor, Second Lieutenant. Died 04/09/1917 aged 21. Royal Flying Corps and Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Lapugnoy Military Cemetery. Son of Henry and Margaret Williams of 94, Anfield Road, Liverpool, and of Olinda, Beaumaris.
- Williams, Edward, Private 266597. Died 26/03/1917 aged 37. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Jerusalem Memorial. Son of Josiah and Elizabeth Jane Williams of 24, Rosemary Lane.
- Williams, H, Private. Australian Imperial Force.
- Williams, H, Private 7719. Died 27/04/1915. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Bois-Grenier Communal Cemetery. Husband of Bertha Williams of 14, Guildford Street, Rochdale. Born and resided in Beaumaris. Not named on Beaumaris war memorial.
- Williams, John, Private 68090. Died 09/10/1918 aged 18. South Wales Borderers. Buried Beaumaris Cemetery. Son of John and Catherine Williams of Grand Lodge, Glyn Garth, Menai Bridge.
- Williams, J N, Corporal (Company Quarter Master Serjeant on war memorial) 26679. Died 19/04/1919. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Beaumaris Cemetery.
- Williams, M, Sapper. Royal Engineers.
- Williams, Percy, Private 17370. Died 10/07/1916 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Dantzig Alley British Cemetery. Son of Edwin and Elizabeth Williams of 36, Castle Street.
- Williams, Thomas C, Lance Corporal 11146. Died 22/06/1916 aged 23. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Awarded Military Medal. Buried Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery. Son of Zachariah and Mary Williams.
- Williams, Thomas, Private 57081. Died 18/05/1918 aged 18. North Staffordshire Regiment. Buried St. Sever Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs John Williams of 20, Steeple Lane. Previously served in King’s Liverpool Regiment.
- Williams, William. Fireman. Died 18/6/18 age 32. Mercantile Marine - SS Norfolk Coast (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Son of the William and Jane Williams. Born in Beaumaris. Ship sunk SE of Flamborough Head. Not named on Beaumaris war memorial.
- Williams, William Hugh, Lance Corporal 21523. Died 11/07/1916. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial.
Second World War
- Barlow J, Sergeant. Radio Operator.
- Bean, Charles Henry, Private 14784511. Died 27/03/1945 aged 19. Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) 2nd Bn. (Listed on war memorial as a Driver with the Royal Army Service Corps.). Reichswald Forest War Cemetery. Lived in Beaumaris after being evacuated from Liverpool early in the war.
- Constable, James Duncan, Second Engineer Officer. Died 21/07/1944 aged 40. Merchant Navy - SS Empire Pride (Glasgow). Buried Northampton (Dallington) Cemetery. Son of John Lewis and Margaret Constable; husband of May Jean Constable of St. James' End, Northampton. The Empire Pride survived the war and James may have died ashore. He is not named on the ship’s register of deaths at sea.
- Evans, William Charles, Able Seaman (Chief Engineer on war memorial). Died 27/10/40 aged 52. Merchant Navy – MV Alfred Jones (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Born in Liverpool. Lived in Rosemary Lane, Beaumaris. Ship damaged by enemy aircraft.
- Fletcher, Norman, Lance Corporal 4199733. Died 18/07/1944 aged 28. Royal Welch Fusiliers. Buried Bayeux War Cemetery. Son of Joseph and Allice Fletcher; husband of Eva Fletcher.
- Hills, Sidney William, Chief Electrical Artificer C/MX 46978. Died 11/03/1941 aged 28. Royal Navy - HMS Vernon. Buried Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery. Son of Joseph Cecil and Rose Fanny Hills; husband of Olive Adaline Hills of Gillingham, Kent.
- Hughes, Robert Richard, Driver T/4195565. Died 31/08/1944 aged 29. Royal Army Service Corps. Buried Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery.
- Jarnell, Randolph Douglas, Able Seaman D/SSX 19457. Died 20/03/1945 aged 27. Royal Navy - HMS Lapwing. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Samuel and Beatrice Jarnell; husband of Vera Jarnell of Beaumaris. Not named on Beaumaris war memorial.
- Jennings, John Arthur Albert, Signalman D/J 92815. Died 24/11/1941 aged 39. Royal Navy - HMS Dunedin. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Arthur W. D. and Catherine Jennings.
- Jones, Morris, Captain. Died 23/3/41 aged 41. Merchant Navy - SS Colon (London). Born in Meirionnydd, Gwynedd. Lived in Orwell House, Beaumaris. Accidentally drowned in the Suez Canal, Egypt.
- Jones, R E, Fusilier, Royal Welch Fusiliers.
- Kite, Evan John, Leading Aircraftman 983012. Died 28/04/1943 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Beaumaris Cemetery. Son of John Edward and Elizabeth Kite.
- McColl, Alec, Fusilier 4191878. Died 01/04/1943 aged 25. Royal Welch Fusiliers. Rangoon Memorial. Son of Lewis and Annie Hughes.
- Parry, Emlyn, Flying Officer – Wireless Operator/Air Gunner 137569. Died 28/05/1943 aged 26. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Reichswald Forest War Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs Henry Parry.
- Pritchard, John P, Chief Engineer Officer. Died 09/02/1941 aged 56. Merchant Navy - SS Britannic (Hull). Tower Hill Memorial. Born and lived in Liverpool. Ship was sunk by German aircraft while on voyage from Almeria, Spain, to Barrow, England.
- Roberts, G, Gunner. Royal Artillery. Probably: Roberts, Glyn, Gunner 957981. Died 24/10/1942 aged 23. Royal Artillery. Buried El Alamein War Cemetery.
- Roberts, John, Private 4209596. Died 13/09/1944 aged 21. York and Lancaster Regiment. Buried Coriano Ridge War Cemetery. Son of Harry and Buddug Roberts.
- Williams, D, Rifleman. King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.
- Williams, E T, Flying Officer. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
- Williams, Francis, Ordinary Seaman (Chief Engineer on war memorial). Died 31/12/39 aged 35. Merchant Navy - SS Box Hill (London). Born in Beaumaris. Lived in Church Street, Beaumaris. Found drowned at Trafalgar Dock, Liverpool.
- Wynne, Alfred John, Second Lieutenant 64021. Died 08/07/1942. Royal Engineers. Buried Kuala Lumpur (Cheras Road) Civil Cemetery. Husband of AJ Wynne of Hull.