Abergavenny First World War memorials
Abergavenny First World War memorials, Market Hall
The main memorial to people from Abergavenny who died in active service in the First World War takes the form of a white marble plaque. It is fixed to the wall inside the entrance to the Market Hall, which was built in 1870 to replace the first market hall of 1794. On the opposite wall is a brass plaque commemorating the local London & North Western Railway employees who died. To read details of the local First World War dead, choose a category below.
The names of the war dead are divided on the main plaque between the urban and rural area, but inconsistently. Two brothers from Union Road are in different categories, for example. We’ve combined both groups for the lists.
Many of those named here served with the 3rd Battalion of the Monmouthshire Regiment and are also commemorated by the memorial in Frogmore Street, Abergavenny. They include RJ Pritchard and his father William H Pritchard. Both were killed in Belgium on 2 May 1915, leaving Mary Pritchard, of Mardy, to grieve for her husband and son
Further information about the war dead of Abergavenny is available on a CD from Gwent Family History Society, Newport branch. The CD covers the whole of the old county of Monmouthshire and includes information about people who served in 20th-century conflicts, including those who survived. To order a copy, e-mail the society here: sales [at symbol] gwentfhs.info
With thanks to Gill Wakley, of Abergavenny Local History Society, and to Gwent FHS
Postcode: NP7 5HD View Location Map
View Abergavenny war memorial FWW HistoryPoints.org in a larger map