All Saints Church & community garden, Ffynnongroyw

All Saints Church and community garden, Ffynnongroyw

This modestly proportioned church was completed in 1882. It is the last of many churches designed by the celebrated Victorian architect George Edmund Street. He designed it in 1881, the year of his death, and never got to see the finished building. The font in the church was also designed by him.

His other works include the Royal Courts of Justice in London, the American Cathedral in Paris, and the Crimean memorial church in Istanbul. He had been an assistant to Sir George Gilbert Scott, and his own disciples – including William Morris – went on to lead the Arts & Crafts movement.

The church was opened with the creation of Ffynnongroyw parish. Previously the area had been part of Llanasa parish, but population growth justified a separate church and parish for Ffynnongroyw. Today All Saints Church is in the parish of Llanasa and Ffynnongroyw.

In 2011 members of the church and local community began a project to turn 3,000 square metres of overgrown land behind the church into a community forest garden, with support from the Flintshare co-operative. The site was cleared of poplar trees, brambles and hemp agrimony, with new trees and shrubs planted in their place. As the garden develops, local people will be able to obtain fresh fruit and other seasonal food from the site. The garden is open to the public at all times.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: CH8 9SN

Parish website

Flintshare website