Betws-y-coed war memorial
The Memorial Hall was opened in 1929, on a site formerly occupied by the National School. The schoolmaster lived in Bryn y Bont, the cottage next door.
A wooden board inside the hall lists the local men who died in the First World War. The preface reads: “In grateful recognition of the men from this district who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.” Written after the names is: “Let those who come after see to it that their names be not forgotten.”
Another board lists three men and a woman who died in the Second World War. Preface: “In grateful recognition of those from this district who laid down their lives in the war 1939-1945.” Postscript: “Greater love hath no man than this: That a man lay down his life for his friends.”
To read the names and details of the war dead, including some who are not named on the memorial, please select one of the categories below.
Postcode: LL24 0BB