Burry Port lifeboat station

link_to_welsh_translationlink_to_french_translation

Burry Port lifeboat station

The RNLI opened a lifeboat station at Burry Port in 1887 and provided a 12-oar lifeboat which was 11 metres long. The cost of setting up the station was covered by the legacy of Mrs JS Barclay, of Edmonton. The first boat was named David Barclay of Tottenham after her late husband. At this time the local dock was busy with ships carrying away coal from mines in the Gwendraeth Valley.

In 1914 the RNLI withdrew the all-weather lifeboat, because neighbouring stations provided enough cover.

The station reopened in 1973, with a D-class inshore lifeboat. The boathouse was upgraded in 1994, with improved facilities for the crew. In 2002 the RNLI considered whether a hovercraft lifeboat might be needed at Burry Port in the future.

The current D-class lifeboat D 749 Diane Hilary entered service in 2011 and was funded by Mr David Cole.

If you would like to arrange a visit, please contact Hugh Owen on 07717 881650.

The lifeboat service in the UK is provided not by government but by the RNLI, a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000 lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: SA16 0ER

Website of Burry Port RNLI

RNLI on HistoryPoints.org

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button
National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button