Bwlchgwyn war memorial
Bwlchgwyn war memorial
This war memorial, in the form of a stone Celtic cross, commemorates local men who died in the First and Second World Wars. See below for their details.
The bilingual dedication on the plinth includes a couplet in Welsh:
Dros ei wlad y rhoes ei lw,
Dros fȏr fe droes i farw.
This translates as:
He gave his oath for his country,
He turned overseas to die.
During the Second World War, eight RAF airmen died when their plane crashed near Bwlchgwyn. You can read about the crash and the men on this page.
With thanks to Clwyd Family History Society
Postcode: LL11 5YA View Location Map
First World War
- Thomas Brown, Private 10004. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 23 Aug 1915, aged 27. Le Touret Memorial, France. Born in Dublin. Son of Mr and Mrs William Brown of 1 Brymbo Road, Bwlchgwyn. Brother of William Brown, below.
- William Brown, Private 7132. King's (Liverpool Regiment). Died 10 Mar 1915. Le Touret Memorial, France. Born in Dublin. Lived in Bwlchgwyn..
- Joseph Davies, Private 15879. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 25 Sep 1915. Loos Memorial, France. Born in Llanfairpwll, Anglesey. Lived in Bwlchgwyn.
- Hugh Owen Edwards, Private 87005. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 8 Oct 1918, aged 23. Bois-des-Angles British Cemetery, France. Son of William and Mary Jane Edwards, of Holly House, Glascoed Road, Bwlchgwyn.
- Edward Thomas James, Lance Corporal 17068. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 24 Sep 1917, aged 21. Son of Elias and Martha James, of Nant Ganol, Ffrith, Wrexham. Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium.
- David Isaac Jones, Lance Corporal 3576. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry), formerly 20613 Royal Lancs Regt. Died 7 Jul 1917, aged 28. Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery, Belgium. Son of David and Sarah Jones of 15 Brymbo Road, Bwlchgwyn. Lived at Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
- Edward W Jones, Private 29384. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 6 May 1917. Fins New British Cemetery, France. Born in Treuddyn. Son of Robert Owen and Edith A Jones of 21 Brymbo Road, Bwlchgwyn.
- John William Jones, Private 32556. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 2 Mar 1917, aged 28. Varennes Military Cemetery, France. Son of Price and Mary Jones of 5 Wesley Road, Bwlchgwyn. Private
- Robert T Jones, Private 200550. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 13 Nov 1918, aged 22. Etaples Military Cemetery, France. Son of Edward and Sarah Ann Jones, of Bwlchgwyn.
- William Henry Jones, Private 49766. Cheshire Regiment. Died 13 Apr 1917, aged 21. Givenchy-en-Gohelle Canadian Cemetery, Souchez, Pas de Calais, France. Son of William and Sarah Ann Jones of Carreg Llydan, Cymmau, Wrexham.
- William Arthur Lloyd, Sapper 121706. Died 19 Dec 1915, aged 37. Royal Engineers. Thiepval Memorial, France. Son of Enoch Lloyd and Mrs ME Lloyd (later Cunnah) of 26 Ruthin Road, Bwlchgwyn; husband of EJ Lloyd (later Jones), of Avondale, Gatewen Road, New Broughton. Not named on Bwlchgwyn war memorial.
- George Williams, Private 201150. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died 6 Apr 1918, aged 31. Martinsart British Cemetery, France. Son of Peter and Margaret Ann Williams of Waen Farm, Bwlchgwyn.
- Isaac Williams, Private 21032. South Wales Borderers. Died 1 Aug 1917, aged 34. Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium. Son of Isaac and Sarah Williams of 4 Nant Road, Bwlchgwyn; husband of Annie Williams of 15 Pioneer Terrace, Cwmfelinfach, Monmouthshire.
Second World War
- Wilfred Thomas Belton, Sergeant (W. Op./Air Gnr.) 1058416. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Died 10 Sep 1942. Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Germany. Son of Mr and Mrs William Belton of 8 Wesley Road, Bwlchgwyn.
- Wynne Williams, Driver 2161693. Royal Engineers. Died 7 Jul 1944, aged 21. Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel. Son of William Henry and Elizabeth Ann Williams of Bwlchgwyn.