Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
Clwb Ifor Bach opened in 1983 as a venue where Welsh speakers could socialise in their capital city. Initially it was open only to members, who had to speak Welsh or show a commitment to learn the language to be eligible for membership.
The club soon evolved into a music venue where bands and artists from across Wales performed. The membership rule was relaxed in the late 1990s. Since 2005 live music has been played on both floors of the club. The upper floor had its capacity increased soon afterwards, but some major bands – including Super Furry Animals and Coldplay – sometimes choose to perform in the more intimate atmosphere of the lower hall.
The club is named after local hero Ifor ap Meurig, nicknamed Ifor Bach (Ifor the small) because of his stature. In the 12th century he was lord of Senghenydd, now a small town near Caerphilly. His land was largely hilly and wooded, covering a wide area from Caerphilly mountain to the Brecon Beacons and bounded by the rivers Taff and Rhymney.
Today Ifor Bach is celebrated for kidnapping the Earl of Gloucester in 1158 by mounting a daring nocturnal raid on Cardiff Castle. Legend has it that he and his men scaled the castle’s high walls. His men also took the earl’s wife and son hostage. The earl had recently stolen land belonging to Ifor Bach. He and his family were eventually released after returning the land to Ifor Bach along with extra territory as compensation.
Postcode: CF10 1BR View Location Map