Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust

Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust

CPAT was established in 1975, one of four Welsh archaeological trusts created in response to the growing need for sites to be investigated for historic remains before buildings and other structures were constructed on those sites.

It helps to protect the historic environment by working with councils and others to monitor the impact of development. It provides information and advice about planning, site management and conservation. CPAT also maintains the regional Historic Environment Record – which includes photographic, drawn and written records – with emphasis on sites under threat. It also records finds made by metal detectorists and members of the general public.

CPAT helps members of the public to learn more about the history of their surroundings. It provides information about sites and finds, mounts exhibitions, publishes reports and organises talks and guided walks.

More information is available at CPAT's website

HiPoints collection:
Beacon Ring hillfort – a prehistoric site near Welshpool which is mentioned in ancient legends
Neolithic tomb site, Crickhowell - CPAT found evidence beneath this tomb of human activity c.5900 BC
Royal House, Machynlleth – once the home and shop of a medieval textile trader
Former Beck’s Bank, Welshpool – now CPAT’s head office
Llanymynech wharf - once a focal point for the local limestone industry
St Collen's Church, Llangollen - medieval church with spectacular carved-oak ceiling from 15th century
Llantysilio Church, near Llangollen - remote medieval church with 15th-century window elements
St Mary's Church, Ruabon - contains effigy of Battle of Bosworth stalwart and his wife
Froncysyllte basin - where boats once carried lime from kilns beside canal
Trevor Church - built c.1717 for local aristocrats, consecrated in 1772
St Asaph parish church - rebuilt 1524, then soon almost doubled by addition of second nave
Moel y Gaer - Bronze Age burial cairn predates the Iron Age fort
Eglwyseg cliffs - spectacular limestone scarp with remnants of quarrying
The Rock Inn, Lloc - pub's name marks historic link with Flintshire quarries and mines
The Piccadilly Inn, Caerrwys - shown on 1742 map which also records a pinfold nearby
The Old Quay House, Connah's Quay - dates from port's rapid expansion in 18th century