Old banana warehouse, Llandudno Junction
This warehouse was constructed c.1910 by the Fyffes banana company. Green bananas were shipped to Britain, and then brought by train to Llandudno Junction. The building had ovens where bananas were ripened ready for sale. Wholesalers and retailers from a wide area of North Wales came to the warehouse to collect supplies.
Many local people have told of “tarantulas” being seen in the vicinity. Exotic spiders stowed away in bunches of bananas and emerged at Llandudno Junction.
The building is a reminder of Llandudno Junction’s origins as an important railway centre. The branch line to Llandudno diverges from the main Chester to Holyhead line here, as does the scenic Conwy Valley line to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Land south of the station, where the multiplex cinema now stands, was home to locomotive and carriage sheds.
In the early 1990s the former banana warehouse was used as a depot by contractors building the A55 Expressway, which dives into a tunnel under the Conwy Estuary near Llandudno Junction.
Collinge Antiques moved its showroom here from West Shore, Llandudno. It is North Wales’ largest antiques dealership.
Postcode: LL31 9LU