Compton House

link to french translation link to portuguese translationButton link to Chinese translation

Compton House, Castle Street, Conwy

Compton House replaced an earlier building on the east side of Castle Street, between the road and lower section of the town walls. The building has been used for various trades, including manufacture or sale of footwear through much of the last century (see Footnotes).

The cellar, open to the public in the main tourism season, is said to be haunted. There is a tale that the daughter of the building’s occupant (a John Jones) in about 1860 died from natural causes when she was 16 years old.

Paranormal investigators have explored the building independently, one being from the USA and the other from England. Both advised previous shopkeepers never to breach the walls in one corner of the cellar and enter the room behind. There is no visible means of entry, and the shopkeepers were surprised that a room existed there. Later they drilled a hole in the floor above and, with the help of a medical endoscope, inspected what they could see inside the sealed room. The only objects they could make out appeared to be associated with fishing or seafaring.

FOOTNOTES - More information about previous occupants of Compton House

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL32 8AY

Other HAUNTED HiPoints in this region:
Pensychnant House, near Penmaenmawr – ghost of maid who was murdered by gardener
Penrhyn Old Hall – woman murdered by sisters to stop her marrying a non-Catholic
Cobdens Hotel, Capel Curig – ghost of famous cricketer’s spinster sister

Ghosts & Legends Tour Lable Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button