Conwy Golf Club paintings
Painter Douglas Adams visited Conwy in 1893 and was inspired to paint three pictures of golfers in action on the golf course at the Morfa (north of the town of Conwy). Copies of those three paintings adorn countless walls across the world, including in many a golf clubhouse, but few of the people who admire them are aware of the location depicted. The club’s website (link below) invites people to report places where they have seen the paintings on display around the world.
Members of the public are welcome to enter the club house to view a display which includes copies of the paintings and recent photographs of the same locations.
The flat, sandy ground at the Morfa may have hosted the first ever game of golf in Wales, when some visiting Scotsmen dug impromptu holes and teed off in 1869. A proper 12-hole course was laid out in 1875 by members of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club. The Conwy (Caernarvonshire) Golf Club was set up in 1890, and the course enlarged to the full 18 holes five years later.
In July 2006 the club became the first in Wales to stage a qualifying event for the Open Championship finals. The three qualifiers at that event were Jon Bevan, Mikko Ilonen and Warren Bladon.
Postcode: LL32 8ER