Cwmbrân place names

Cwmbrân place names

Cwmbrân as we know it today is mostly a result of the New Towns Act 1946, but the name goes back many centuries. A village called Cwm Brân was located in the valley (Cwm) of a stream called Nant Brân. This was recorded in 1634 as Nant brane. Brân means crow or raven, but in this case it’s more likely to refer to the stream’s dark waters, or to a person called Brân or similar.

With thanks to Richard Morgan, of the Welsh Place-Name Society