The arm of land which sticks out into the Conwy estuary at Deganwy was built by the London & North Western Railway in an attempt to tap the lucrative market for transporting Welsh roofing slates. The harbour, opened in 1885, was equipped with tracks of standard and narrow gauges. Small loaded wagons from quarries in Blaenau Ffestiniog were placed on the LNWR’s larger wagons for the journey down the Conwy Valley to Deganwy, where they were placed on narrow-gauge tracks again for the slate to be loaded into ships.
The venture was not a great success because the Ffestiniog Railway (now a major tourist attraction) provided a shorter route to the sea at Porthmadog.
In the mid-20th century, the sidings were used to store old railway coaches which would be pressed into service for the crowds visiting North Wales in the summer holidays. The tracks were removed in the 1960s.
In the 1970s the dock became a major area for leisure boat owners to moor, store and repair their vessels. The arm of land was home to various businesses, including Williams Boat Builders from 1930 to 1979. The tidal nature of the dock (preventing access by boat at low tide) left Deganwy’s mooring facilities unable to compete with the new ones at Conwy Marina. In 2002 work began on transforming the dock into a marina with constant water. This opened in 2004, along with the first of the new homes there. The Deganway Quay Hotel opened in 2007.
With thanks to Deganwy History Group
Postcode: LL31 9DJ