Dolwyddelan war memorial

Logo for Dolwyddelan Community Council

Dolwyddelan war memorial

This memorial was unveiled in July 1922 to commemorate local men who had died in the First World War. It was designed by members of the community. Local landowner T Pierce, of Llwyn, donated the land on which the memorial stands and the Garden of Remembrance was created. Local activities raised the money needed for the memorial, £364 1s 6d. Some contributions came from the USA and the Welsh colony in Patagonia, Argentina.

The names of local men who died in the Second World War were added later to the memorial.

To read details of those named on the memorial, press the heading below. We have included in our list several others who died and are not named on the memorial, despite their local connections.

Among those who died – both in 1918 – were the Jones brothers, Robert and John, of Aber Farm at Roman Bridge.

There are 13 trees at the back of the Garden of Remembrance, representing the 13 men named on the memorial who died in the First World War. The six trees at the front represent those from the Second World War. The garden is now maintained by Dolwyddelan Community Council.

Where is this HiPoint?

First and Second World Wars