Tyddyn Llan & Bryn Garrog, Eglwysbach

Logo of Eglwysbach heritage trail

Tyddyn Llan and Bryn Garrog, Eglwysbach

If you’ve scanned the QR codes on the fence, turn around to see the Tyddyn Llan cottage on the opposite side of the road (it's set back from the road). It was once the village Post Office. In 1871, the subpostmaster, who lived here with his family, was Evan Evans, who also farmed. In his previous job as a stonemason, he built the Bee Inn.

A post box was attached to the late afternoon Crosville bus, which would reach the main sorting office just before the last mail collection!

The next house to the north of Tyddyn Llan cottage is Bryn Garrog (at right angles to the road). It was once a pub known as the Hand, favoured by ordinary people while the Bee Inn tended to cater for the gentry and farmers. Farmhands would sneak round to the Hand along a path behind the smithy for a furtive pint while the horses in their care were being shod.

By 1907, the Hand and so dilapidated that the floor in one of the rooms was partly fenced off! In 1908 the licence was transferred from the “official receiver” to David Jones, a threshing-machine proprietor.

After closing as a pub, the building became a house and was named Bryn Garrog, after a beast from local folklore. An early occupant was John Jones, who left for the Western Front in 1918, aged 17. He took with him a New Testament, inscribed with his name as his parting gift from Sunday School in the rural hamlet of Pandy Tudur. He was gassed and lost his sight in 1918. While being led to a field hospital, he lost his kitbag. A young German soldier later found and kept it. Years later, the German’s mother posted the New Testament to John Jones at Pandy Tudur. From there it was returned to John.

View Location Map

Eglwysbach Heritage Trail Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button