Ffordd y Ffair or Wood Street
The Welsh name for this road refers to the annual fair called Ffair Borth which is documented from as early as 1691. It is still held on 24 October, and is now located in various parts of the town's streets and car parks.
Wood Street refers to the woodland behind the car park, and adjacent to a path up to the main road by Waitrose. In the early 20th century part of the woodland was owned by local undertaker Rowland Williams, who built himself a joinery workshop c.1903 just behind the bus stop here, on the north side of Wood Street. He harvested timber from the woodland and seasoned it to make coffins.
Rowland Williams was also a wheelwright and coach builder. He maintained the Marquis of Anglesey’s landau and made carts and wagons for household removals and other commercial uses. He also built the bodywork of Anglesey’s first bus, which served villages east of Menai Bridge before the First World War. The workshop employed about 10 joiners c.1905 and included a smithy, where iron tyres were made for the wooden carriage wheels.
With thanks to Prof Hywel Wyn Owen, of the Welsh Place-Name Society, Selwyn T Williams and Menai Bridge Town Council
Postcode: LL59 5AS