Flint inshore lifeboat station
An inshore lifeboat was established at Flint in May 1966. The D-class boat was kept in a garage near Flint Castle. This boathouse was built in 1985. The current lifeboat, D-class Sir Y Fflint, entered service in 2006.
Helmsman Robert Alan Forrester received a bronze medal in 1983 after the lifeboat rescued the two crew of a cabin cruiser which had run aground and was taking on water 1.5km south east of Mostyn dock. In a strong north-westerly wind and rough sea, crew members Denis James Smith and Terrance Henry Jacklin boarded the cruiser to carry off one of the people on board, who had collapsed. They both received framed letters of appreciation.
In 2000 the crew received a Certificate of Commendation for rescuing a dolphin which was stranded in Mostyn dock. In 2001 Flint station tested a new hovercraft lifeboat on the Dee mudflats.
In August 2013, Flint lifeboat rescued a dolphin which had become stranded in the Saltney Ferry area. It had been spotted near Connah’s Quay three days earlier. To view a news video of the rescue click here (opens new window).
The lifeboat service in the UK is provided not by government but by the RNLI, a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000 lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed.
Footnotes: More Flint rescues