Former Birdcage Inn
The pub now known as the Old Arcade was built c.1835. In 1844 it was known as the Birdcage Inn, when the landlord used to make wooden cages for small birds. He would display them in the bar and sell them to drinkers.
The pub takes its current name from the Old Arcade, the passageway into Cardiff market which leads past the side of the pub. This is one of the oldest of Cardiff’s shopping arcades.
The Old Arcade has long been a favourite drinking hole for rugby fans and players, and framed rugby shirts are a feature of the décor. A section of the pub is known as Slogger’s Corner, after Bernard “Slogger” Templeman. He had played scrum half for Penarth RFC in the 1950s and early 1960s and often drank in that corner of the pub, with fellow players such as Barry John for company.
Postcode: CF10 1BG