Former Black Horse inn
This building was the Black Horse inn from the late 18th century, or earlier, until c.1900. From 1834 to 1856 the licensee was Thomas Roberts, who wrote Welsh poetry under the bardic name "Myrddin". You can read more about him and his poetry on this page in our mini-tour of Conwy churchyard, where he is buried.
Around the start of the 20th century, the ground floor was divided into two shops. By 1911 the larger part was trading as the Emu Restaurant, becoming the Victoria Tea Rooms in 1915. In 1932 the building began its long association with baking and with the Veale family. In 1938 the Victoria Café was moved to the first floor, leaving the ground floor for Gerald Veale’s new bakery and confectionery shop. Gerald died in 1967 and the business was continued by his son Brian. The bakery developed a following for its bara brith (Welsh tea bread), baked to the family’s secret recipe.
Brian Veale died in an accidental fall in 1996. The business was sold c.1998 and continued as Popty Conwy Bakery. Since 2007 it has been run by five brothers from the Roberts family.
The smaller shop next door is now a traditional sweet shop.
Thanks to Ray Castle for this information
FOOTNOTES: Previous occupants
Postcode: LL32 8AY