Former Boot Inn and Plas Coch
The core of this building dates from the 17th century, or possibly earlier. Now home to Alfredo’s Restaurant, it combines two former buildings known as the Boot Inn (on the right) and Plas Coch. The building was modified in the 18th and 19th centuries, when its height was raised. The current frontage was probably created in the 20th century.
In 1871 railway workers were given a supper at the Boot Inn to thank them for completing the replacement of rails in the four railway tunnels between Conwy and Bangor. This was described as a “difficult and hazardous labour” which had been completed without “the slightest accident of any kind”.
Mary Read, who lived in Plas Coch, lost her son Hughie in the First World War. He was a Sergeant with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and died in Palestine, aged 24. He had worked for Colonel Mostyn at Bodysgallen Hall before enlisting in the army.
An earlier occupant of Plas Coch, cobbler and leather dresser William Roberts, was found dead beside his bed on 1 January 1897, aged 67. He had returned home extremely drunk on New Year’s Eve.
In 1905 a young man called Richard Jones, who had returned to Conwy “with considerable savings” after fighting in the Boer War, was charged with being drunk at the Boot Inn. On the same night, he and his friend Robert Wrench assaulted WH Watson, proprietor of a “tripe and chips restaurant” after refusing to pay for their fish and chips.
In 1959 a planning application was made by Biagio Ramiconi to convert the building into a restaurant. He had migrated to Britain from Italy. The business he founded, Alfredo’s Restaurant, continues to occupy the building, although it is no longer run by the Ramiconi family.
Postcode: LL32 8DA View Location Map
FOOTNOTES – Previous occupants of the Boot Inn
1798 William Lardner, landlord
1828 Richard Lardner
1835 Catherine Lardner
1844-1847 Rowland Jones
1850-1851 Jane Jones and son Robert
1856-1859 Thomas Evans
1861-1868 Mary Smith
1874-1875 R Prichard
1880-1885/6 William Davies
1889 H D Williams
1889-1895 M Dougall, Boot Inn
1911-1922 Mrs Margaret Dougall
1925-1926 Evan Jones
1929 Mrs AS Jones
1932-1939 Mrs ME Jones
Thanks to Ray Castle for this information