Former Customs office, Cardiff Bay
Pickfords removal lorries are famous for moving the contents of buildings, but in this case Pickfords moved the building itself!
The two-storey castellated stone building at the north end of the Waterguard pub was once the Customs and Excise office for Cardiff docks. It was later extended, with additional office accommodation provided behind the Victorian building.
In 1993, during redevelopment of the docklands, the building was placed onto a low-loader lorry and moved c.50 metres to its present site. Inside the pub you can see photos of the Customs office in its original position and on the removal lorry.
Taxes on goods imported and exported were originally controlled from a building in what is now the city centre, alongside the Glamorganshire Canal. The building survives, in Custom House Street. Cardiff’s docks developed rapidly after the Bute West Dock opened in 1839, but customs were still controlled from the canal-side offices for many decades.
In 1891 Cardiff Council petitioned for the Customs House to be relocated to the docks, and for Cardiff to be made a “wine-testing port” – which would boost imports of wines and spirits through Cardiff. Both aims were achieved in 1896, the same year that Cardiff overtook New York to top the world rankings for the tonnage of registered ships despatched overseas (6.9 million tons compared with New York’s 6.5 million tons). Cardiff’s trade was dominated by coal exports. For loads imported, Cardiff was second to London among British ports.
Cardiff’s success in achieving wine-testing status and getting the Customs House relocated was partly down to the support of Frederic Sothers Tolputt, HM Customs collector for Cardiff. He died just a year later, in 1897 at his home in Penarth. He was 64 years old.
In 1902 WL Massy was appointed Cardiff’s Customs collector. The press approved because Mr Massy was previously at Newport, and “while the coal-tax exists it is essential that a person who has a thorough knowledge of the coal trade should be at the head of the Customs”.
Postcode: CF10 4PA View Location Map