Former Horse and Jockey Inn, Talgarth

PWMP logoFormer Horse and Jockey Inn, Talgarth

This corner building incorporates the former Horse and Jockey Inn, whose landlord lost a grandson in the First World War. The property is now a private house – please respect the occupants’ privacy.

It’s said that the Horse and Jockey was a cider pub. Although it’s not known if it made its own cider, there was an orchard on the opposite side of Heol Las. In May 1919 the “Horse and Jockey orchard” was sold at auction to a Mr Badman for £425. The lot included 2,050 acres of land, a stable and other buildings.

talgarth_william_f_d_williamsIn 1874 William Price, landlord of the Horse and Jockey, was taken to court, along with the owners of nine other properties in the area, for breaching the Public Health Act 1872. All were ordered to make sanitary improvements. He was not in particularly bad company: his co-defendants included the secretary of Talgarth’s British School and even the trustees of Trefeca Methodist college!

By the First World War, the Horse and Jockey had become Westbrook House, where widow Mary Williams kept a grocery store on the ground floor. She was William Price’s daughter. Her son William Francis David Williams (pictured right) was fatally wounded on the Western Front in February 1917, aged 22. He had worked as a bank clerk in Abergavenny before joining the Bankers’ Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers. You can read our page in his memory here.

Westbrook House was later home to a jewellers’ shop. After the Second World War it was merged with the adjoining cottage to form a single house, now known as Broken House.

Postcode: LD3 0PG    View Location Map