Former Liberal Club, Caernarfon
This building was the Liberal Party’s club for the area when David Lloyd George was Prime Minister. Today it’s home to Ellis Davies & Co, the solicitor’s practice founded by another local Liberal MP. The words “Liberal Club” are still visible on the frontage, above the first floor.
Lloyd George (1863-1945) was also a solicitor. In 1890 he was elected to represent Caernarfon Boroughs, covering the main townships as far east as Llandudno. He became President of the Board of Trade in 1905, Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1908 and Prime Minister in 1916. Each of those events was celebrated at this building.
Ellis William Davies (1871-1939), pictured right, became MP for Eifion, a rural area of Caernarfonshire, in 1906. He was involved in numerous Parliamentary committees but his political career was cut short after 12 years when he refused to support Lloyd George’s coalition (Liberals and Conservatives). He was defeated at the 1918 general election by the coalition candidate. He returned to the House of Commons in 1923 as MP for Denbigh, but ill-health forced him to give up his seat in 1926. He was briefly a member of the Labour Party in the late 1930s but couldn’t agree with its foreign policies.
He also wrote on history and politics for Welsh publications, and was active in the Presbyterian Church of Wales. The law firm which bears his name moved into the former Liberal Club in the 1990s.
Postcode: LL55 1AT