Former National School, Penmaenmawr
This National School was built from 1872 to 1874 for children aged four to 14 years. It was named New York School, after the row of cottages nearby. From 1930 the school catered only for infant and junior age groups, because children aged over 11 years were educated at Charles Darbishire Seconday School, now Ysgol Pencae. New York School closed in 1961, with its pupils transferring to Ysgol Pencae. The building has subsequently been home to a community centre, youth club and clinic.
National Schools were created by the National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales. The society was formed in 1811 and stipulated that the national religion should be the main thing taught to poor children. The creation of National Schools in Conwy and elsewhere was overseen by members of the local Anglican church, including the vicar.
Next to the school is Eglwys Dewi Sant (“St David’s Church”). This was completed in 1897 to cater for Anglicans who wished to worship in Welsh. Previously services in Welsh had been held in the Mission Hall in Penmaenan (the cluster of streets at the western end of Penmaenmawr).
With thanks to Dennis Roberts of Penmaenmawr Historical Society
Postcode: LL34 6NP