Former police station Llandudno
This building is now somewhat hemmed in by the hotels and shops along the parallel streets, Upper Mostyn Street and North Parade. It was once a centre of activity, having been erected in 1867 as a lock-up and police station. Later, in 1872, a magistrates’ court was added. The nearby alley connecting Vardre Lane to Upper Mostyn Street is still called Court Lane. The building is now a private house, but you can still see a barred cell window. Today’s police station and magistrates’ courts are on more spacious sites, east of the town centre.
Dedicated policing for Llandudno began in the 1850s when the Town Commissioners, the predecessors of Llandudno Town Council, appointed a Town Constable. They built a lock-up in Tŷ Coch Road for him to incarcerate offenders. In 1857 the Caernarfonshire Constabulary was created and the commissioners in Llandudno hoped that they would be released from the burden of having to pay the constable his 18 shillings a week. However, it was not until 1874 that the Chief Constable relented and the town had its own sergeant and two constables.
With thanks to John Lawson-Reay, of the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay History Society
Postcode: LL30 2PH