Former police station, Colwyn Bay
Former police station and municipal offices, Station Road, Colwyn Bay
In 1887 (as the date at the top of the building indicates) this building housed the town’s police station and offices of the Colwyn Bay Estate Company Ltd, Denbighshire County Council, the National Provincial Bank and the Colwyn Bay & Colwyn Board.
The names of the non-police organisations are inscribed on stone tablets at the top of the building, just below the turret. The emblems of each organisation – the Welsh feathers, a lion, the letters NB and the oak tree – are also carved into the stonework.
To see evidence of this being a police station in the past, look above the right-hand doorway – where you can see handcuffs carved in the stone. The building to the left was built in 1892. The date is on the stone pediment at the top of the building.
In the 1940s the building housed confectioners called the Black Boy Chocolate Company, a name that would be frowned on today! The building reopened after refurbishment in 2013. The ground-floor café and bistro, called Porter’s, features old photos of the area and allows the public to appreciate the decorative coloured glass along the front windows.
Postcode: LL29 8BU