Former police station, Welshpool

PWMP logoFormer police station, New Street, Welshpool

This police station was built in 1862 by the Montgomeryshire Constabulary, formed in 1841. It’s now a private residence – please enjoy the view from the gateway but don’t enter the grounds.

There was a well at the police station but the water started to taste unpleasant in 1882. On closer inspection it was found to have a sewer discharging into it! Repairs cost £7.

In 1904 the chief constable recommended that a bicycle be kept at the station for officers’ use.

The body of a murdered baby girl, about a week old, was brought here in 1871. It had been discovered in a pillow case in a wood near Welshpool. The inquest jury returned a verdict of wilful murder by a person or persons unknown.

In June 1915 two German soldiers were brought to Welshpool police station after being on the run for c.36 hours. Otto Richart Kirchner belonged to a regiment from Saxony. Bernhart Johannes Zimpel was from a Prussian regiment and stood 1.9 metres tall (6ft 3in). They were brought to Britain as prisoners of war and escaped from a detention camp in Shrewsbury.

Local residents were alerted, and the escapees were spotted near Welshpool. Captain Rhys Williams, of the Welsh Guards, was informed at 11pm, shortly after he had dined with Captain Gerald Dugdale. He borrowed his host’s car and chauffeur to find the Germans. When he apprehended them, his leather belt was his only weapon!

The Germans soon admitted they were escaped prisoners. At the police station they emptied their pockets and haversacks of razors, soap, chocolate and strings of sausages apparently sent to them at the camp. They were given tea with bread and butter, which they ate quickly, and were allowed a brief rest in the police cells. As they were driven away, Zimpel threw up his arms in disgust when told they were returning to the camp.

Four months later Captain Williams, of Miskin Manor, near Llantrisant, was wounded during an attack on German positions near Loos, Belgium.

Postcode: SY21 7SF    View Location Map

To continue the Welshpool (Powys) in WW1 tour, leave New St and turn right. Follow Broad St and Severn St to the roundabout. The Old Station is beyond the car park on the right
POWYS WAR MEMORIAL PROJECT  Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button