George and Dragon, Beaumaris
This building, now the George & Dragon Hotel, was originally a town house. The Dating Old Welsh Houses project has established that the earliest parts of the building date from 1541. The upper storey overhung the side of the street in the original architecture. Alterations were made in the 17th and 20th centuries but original beams survive. Also noteworthy is the 17th-century panelling.
One of the roof trusses bears pictures and words from c.1610. It is highly unusual for a building of this era to have both words and illustrations on the same truss. A painting of a bleeding heart occupies the centre of the apex. The Latin motto reads: Pax deus vobis requie defuge deus providebit nosce te ipsum.
With thanks to Margaret Dunn of Dating Old Welsh Houses
Postcode: LL58 8AA