Gwynfryn, York Place
Almost every house in Conwy was stripped of its Victorian railings in the 20th century when every scrap of metal was needed for the war effort. So why is the front of Gwynfryn still adorned with railings today?
There’s a clue in the Wesleyan Methodist chapel behind Gwynfryn, which closed in 2011. Gwynfryn was built in 1873 as the home for the chapel’s superintendent preacher. It was occupied by tenants by 1911, but its association with the chapel is probably why the railings were left in situ. Most chapels in Conwy, and elsewhere in Wales, front directly onto the street, and retained their railings. The railings outside Gwynfryn were, in effect, the Wesleyan Methodist chapel’s front railings.
The property was occupied by dressmakers with the surname Edwards for several decades in the 20th century. It had become a rather dilapidated “residential accommodation” by the time Colin and Monica Leboutillier bought it in December 2003. After renovation, the property opened as Gwynfryn Bed & Breakfast in August 2005. In January 2008 the B&B was named eighth-best B&B in Europe by the review website TripAdvisor. Four months later the Queen invited the owners to a reception in Buckingham Palace for the British hospitality industry where they met the Queen.
FOOTNOTES: Details of previous occupants
Postcode: LL32 8AB