This is one of the earliest inns in Llangollen and was favoured by many travellers making an overnight stay here on the coach journey from London to Dublin. The hotel’s name derives from the bloody red hand on the crest of the Myddelton family, the major local landowners. It had a reputation for luxury accommodation. The adjacent building provided rooms for the servants accompanying wealthy visitors.
In 1886 the poet Robert Browning stayed here for 10 weeks. After his death three years later, friends placed a memorial to him in Llantysilio Church, where he had regularly worshipped during his stay in Llangollen.
By the 1920s the hotel had 60 bedrooms, a drawing room, dining room, billiards room, smoking room, writing room and a large metal building which provided covered garage space for 30 cars. The eastern end of the building appears to have pinched some of St Collen’s churchyard!
Today the hotel’s gardens, north of the building on the far side of Bridge Street, allow guests to sit or stroll near the riverbank. At one time a market hall and town hall stood on this area. There were also cottages here, in one of which lived a barber who killed his wife in 1739 by slitting her throat following a domestic argument. He was hanged on the hill still known today as Moel y Barbwr (Barber’s Hill).
Non-residents are welcome to enter the hotel to read the historical information and view the old photos on display there.
Other CRIME HiPoints in this area:
Llantysilio Church – wealthy man’s coffin opened by people searching for his will
Aqueduct Inn, Froncysyllte – alcoholic landlord charged with attempted suicide after slitting throat
Postcode: LL20 8PL