Hereford rail station

Hereford rail station

Although Britain’s railways developed in an ad hoc fashion, Hereford’s first two railways – built by different companies – opened on the same day, 6 December 1853. That was as far as the coordination went, however, and the lines terminated at stations on opposite sides of the city. Tracks were installed to connect these lines, but in 1893, after four decades of inconvenience, the city’s passenger rail services were all concentrated at this station, originally terminus of the Shrewsbury & Hereford Railway.

The grand station building still stands. It was designed in Tudor style by architect Thomas Mainwaring Penson (1817-1864) and was built within a few years of the station’s opening. It included: a booking office; separate refreshment rooms for first and second class passengers; separate waiting rooms for men and women travelling first class; a second class waiting room; a telegraph room; and various offices for staff, luggage and parcels. The first floor provided the station master’s residence, and more offices.

The station was known as Barr’s Court, to distinguish it from the station in Barton (west of the city centre) where the line built by the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway terminated. After the 1893 consolidation, the track through Barton was retained as an avoiding line, for freight trains to bypass the city centre. Today this route is a cycle path, part of National Cycle Network Route 46 (still under development but eventually to connect Hereford to Droitwich Spa and South Wales).

The station is now owned by Network Rail and managed by Arriva Trains Wales, which provides frequent services to Cardiff and Shrewsbury and beyond. Other services from Hereford run to London and the West Midlands.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: HR1 1BB