Houses in The Close, Llanfairfechan
The Arts and Crafts architect Herbert Luck North designed and built the houses in The Close, on land owned by his family, throughout his career. Those nearest to the Church Institute are the earliest. Please take time to enjoy the views of the buildings from the road, but remember that they are private homes with no public access to the gardens.
You may notice changes in design as you walk further along from the Church Institute end. These changes show how Herbert North honed his vision, and perhaps also the external influences on his work.
There are 25 houses in total, all but one designed by North. Pictured above right are The Haven and Coedfa c.1922. Bolnhurst, the first house on the left in The Close, is the first house North ever designed. It exhibits a beautifully executed “eyebrow” window on the first floor. It was built in 1898.
The next building North designed for The Close was Woodcot – now named Ty’n y Coed – built in 1903. Whilome followed in 1907, and Northfield and Beamsmoor in 1912. Beamsmoor (pictured left) is a large house with seven gables where The Close rejoins Park Road.
Leading the way in independent residential sales and lettings in North Wales
5/6 Castle Buildings,
Tel: 01248 680222
Fax: 01248 681605
The remainder of The Close was built from 1922 until 1940, shortly before North’s death in 1941. From 1926, the design work was aided by his partner and son-in-law Perceval Mitchell ("Paddy") Padmore, who designed Carreg Lwyd (no. 20) after North’s death and lived in Whilome.
The estate featured in publications in the 1920s and onwards for its unusual design. Each house in The Close is listed. In 1989 The Close was designated a Conservation Area in its own right. The houses and gardens have seen few alterations and give us a fascinating insight into not only the Arts and Crafts movement but also the Garden Suburb concept of the 20th century.
With thanks to Andrew Hinchliff and Pam Phillips
Postcode: LL33 0AE
Footnotes: Map of The Close showing proposed extension
|To continue the HL North Arts & Crafts tour, walk up The Close and round to rejoin Park Road, then turn right. Follow footpath through field. Next QR codes are near the house among the trees|