Little and Broad Haven lifeboat station
The RNLI established a lifeboat station, named Littlehaven, in 1882. The lifeboat was kept afloat, in a sheltered position under Goldtrop Head, until a new boathouse and slipway were built in 1903. The station closed in 1921 because of difficulty finding crew members, and neighbouring stations could cover the area.
The station reopened, with a D-class inshore lifeboat, in 1967 as boating and watersports grew in popularity. A new boathouse was built in 1992. The current D-class lifeboat, Austin Burnett, entered service in 2004. It was funded by a gift from Mrs J Burnett in memory of her husband.
In 1995 the RNLI awarded a bronze medal to helmsman Crispin Williamson and Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum to crew members Brian Dilly and David Love for rescuing a family of six cut off by the tide at the foot of North Haven cliffs. The family’s dinghy had been swamped in heavy seas and deteriorating weather.
Helmsman Crispin Williamson received a Framed Letter of Thanks in 2004, after the D-class lifeboat saved three children cut off by the tide at the bottom of a cliff at Little Haven.
The lifeboat service in the UK is provided not by government but by the RNLI, a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000 lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed.
Postcode: SA62 3UF