Liverpool Arms & Ffordd Cynan, Menai Bridge
The name of this pub is a relic of the era when steamships plied between Liverpool and Menai Bridge. Passengers would alight at the nearby St George’s Pier, so named because it was originally used by the St George's Steam Packet Company. The fare in 1835 was 10s 6d for travel in a cabin, or 5s for travel on deck.
The name of St George’s Road, outside the Liverpool Arms, also marks that connection. The road was given the alternative Welsh name Ffordd Cynan in the 1970s after Sir Cynan Evans-Jones (1895-1970) CBE. He lived at Penmaen, just around the corner from the Liverpool Arms, from 1932. Born Albert Evans-Jones, he is known throughout Wales by his bardic name Cynan. Originally from Pwllheli, he was a poet, dramatist, preacher, playwright, producer, director of pageants and tutor at Bangor University’s Extramural Department. He was knighted in 1969.
He was prominent in the National Eisteddfod, with two periods as Archdruid. He devoted much energy and imagination to reorganising the Eisteddfod’s governance and some of its ceremonial aspects. He won the crown three times and the chair once, and became one of the most popular adjudicators in Wales. He also won the drama competition. He’s buried at Ynys Tysilio, Menai Bridge.
At the other end of Ffordd Cynan is Bro Helen Rowlands, named after a missionary and academic who became an expert on the traditions and language of Bengal, India.
Postcode: LL59 5EY View Location Map