Llandegla war memorial
This memorial was unveiled by Capt GP Dewhurst, of Bodidris, in November 1922 to commemorate the local men who died in the First World War. A plaque with the names of men who died in the Second World War was added in the 1980s. See below for details of those named on the memorial.
The cross is made of teak wood and stands on a stone base. The memorial is in the grounds of St Tegla’s Church, facing the road.
First World War
- John Bloor, Private 31500. Died 03/07/1916, aged 33. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 9th Bn. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial. Son of Samuel and Mary Bloor.
- Alexander Cammock, Private 31555. Died 22/03/1918, aged 28. South Lancashire Regiment 2nd Bn. Commemorated on Pozieres Memorial. Son of Mrs Elizabeth Cammock, of 295 Holburn Street, Aberdeen.
- William Hughes Davies, Private 15316. Died 02/03/1916 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers "B" Coy. 10th Bn. Commemorated at Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of William Davies and Mrs W Davies, of Mill Cottage (Bryn Dŵr on memorial), Llandegla.
- Evan Edwards, Gunner 91160. Died 28/09/1918. Royal Field Artillery "A" Bty. 312th Bde. Buried at Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery, Villers-Plouich. His parents ran the Travellers’ Rest Inn (Hand Hotel on memorial).
- John Parry, Private 35337. Died 21/08/1918 aged 21. King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7th Bn. Commemorated on Vis-en-Artois Memorial. Son of Robert and Sarah Parry, of Old Gate, Llandegla.
Second World War
- Glyn Price Jones. Commemorated with Frank Campbell Jones, below, on stained glass window of 1948 in St Tegla’s Church.
- Frank Campbell Jones, Sergeant, Air Bomber 553219. Died 21/10/1944 aged 22. Royal Air Force, 34 (S.A.A.F.) Sqdn. Buried at Budapest War Cemetery. Son of Charles Frederick and Hilda Faith Jones. The family moved from Oxfordshire to Llandegla in 1932 to live in and run the Crown Hotel until 1935. Frank and his family later lived at Tegla Cottage and then Tŷ Newydd. He want to Capetown on military service in 1941. After training airmen for two years, he transferred to the South African Air Force squadron. His Liberator bomber was shot down over Hungary during a raid from an air base in Italy.