Llandudno pier is the longest in Wales, 700 metres in length. The first pier on this site was a wooden one, erected in 1858 as part of the planned St George’s Harbour. The wooden pier was used mainly for export of limestone from quarries in the nearby Happy Valley.
In 1875 the Llandudno Pier Company was formed. The first pile was driven for the new pier in July 1876. The builder was Walter MacFarlane from Glasgow. Cast iron components were produced by the Elmbank Foundry, Glasgow. The pier opened to the public on 1 August 1877. A landing stage catered for steamships, which brought visitors to Llandudno and took trippers for cruises along the coast to Anglesey and sometimes as far as the Isle of Man. Rail and road transport put an end to regular sailings, but the charity-owned pleasure cruiser MV Balmoral maintained the tradition of day cruises from Llandudno into the 21st century.
The pier remains a popular leisure venue for funfair rides, fishing or just strolling and enjoying the view of Llandudno’s promenade and bay. In 2005 it won the Pier of the Year award from the National Piers Society.
With thanks to John Lawson-Reay, of Llandudno & Colwyn Bay History Society
Postcode: LL30 2LP