Llanfairpwll war memorial

Link to Welsh translationLink to French translation

Llanfairpwll war memorial

This memorial takes the form of a clock on a stone pillar. To read details of the war dead, choose a category below.

The community was divided over whether the local war dead should be honoured by a memorial hall or a clock. Eventually Caernarfon-based architect Robert Pierce, who had grown up in Llanfairpwll, was asked to design the clock tower.

The memorial was unveiled in October 1932 by Lieut Col OH Stanley. The official leaflet for the event makes no mention of the Marquess of Anglesey, the major local landowner, who had argued for a memorial hall.

A plaque listing local men who died in the Second World War was added later.

The men listed under Penmynydd are also commemorated at the ancient St Gredifael’s Church in Penmynydd.

Local historian Gerwyn James has written a book in Welsh about the history of the Great War and the struggle over the memorial at Llanfairpwll. Titled Y Rhwyg (The Split), it was published by Gwasg Carreg Gwalch in 2013. We are grateful to Mr James for allowing us to draw on his research.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL61 5UJ

First World War

Second World War

National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button
Telfords Irish Road Tour label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button