Llangefni war memorial

Graphic of Llangefni logo

Llangefni war memorial

This memorial was unveiled in November 1922 by Sir R H Williams-Bulkeley outside the Shire Hall, which is still home to Llangefni Town Council.

The memorial originally commemorated the local people who died in active service in the First World War. Names from the Second World War were added later.

To read details of the war dead, choose a category below.

Many men with family ties to the Llangefni area who died in active service in the Second World War were omitted from the war memorial. We have included eight of them in our list.

The main inscription, on the front of the memorial, reads: “Atgo serch am ddewrion Llangefni a Thregaian a syrthiodd yn y Rhyfel Mawr 1914-1918.” This means: “In fond remembrance of the braves of Llangefni and Tregaian who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.” Tregaian is a rural community about 4km north of Llangefni.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL77 7TW

First World War

Second World War