Mostyn Lodge Hotel
This building dates from the mid-19th century, when the land to seaward was home to a bustling industrial complex. The building was created as an inn, possibly to capitalise on the proximity of the new railway station nearby, which opened in 1848. The station closed in 1966 but the large station building still stands, as does the railway goods shed.
The inn, part of the Mostyn estate, is of dressed sandstone, with gabled attic windows and decorative features in Tudor-Gothic style. The architect is thought to be Ambrose Poynter, who is known to have designed other buildings for the Mostyn family. The inn incorporated a forge and smithy.
Mostyn Hall is about 1km to the south-west. The Mostyn family was granted the rights to all the minerals in this area – including those below the estuary up to 1.5km from the shore – by King Henry VII, in recognition of the family’s help during his campaign to dethrone King Richard III.
Coal was brought to the surface in the docks complex until the late 19th century. The engineer Thomas Telford designed improved facilities for loading the coal onto ships. From the middle of that century, iron was also made in the complex.
In 1990 the the building was converted into an hotel, having been sold by the Mostyn estate. It is now an hotel for homeless people.
Postcode: CH8 9HF