Newtown memorial gates

PWMP logoNewtown memorial gates, Back Lane, Newtown

These gates were erected in 1953 to commemorate the local men and women who died in the First and Second World Wars. For details of the local war dead, click here to view our information about Newtown’s cenotaph.

Fundraising for a new memorial began as the Second World War came to a close. After years of debate, a decision was taken to erect new park gates and a wooden bandstand in the park. The bandstand eventually decayed and was demolished in the 1980s.

The memorial gates were refurbished and rededicated in 2000.

To mark the centenary of the 1918 armistice, Newtown Town Council purchased two memorial benches from David Ogilvie Engineering which feature First World War imagery. Also in 2018, the gates were refurbished with the help of the Powys War Memorials Project.

The town council chose to paint the poppies on the gates and benches in different colours to commemorate the following:

Red: The people who died in the First World War and later conflicts

White: Those who died in conflict while emphasising the lasting commitment to peace

Black: The African, Black and Caribbean communities who contributed to the war effort

Purple: The animal victims of war.

Postcode: SY16 2NP    View Location Map