Old School Room, Abergavenny
Old School Room, Castle Street
This building was erected in 1903 as a school room for the adjacent United Reformed Church, which was founded in Abergavenny in 1690 and moved to its present site in Castle Street in 1707. The school room echoes the architectural style of the chapel building, as rebuilt in 1838. Inside the school room’s front door, symmetrical staircases lead to the first floor, calling to mind the routes up to the gallery in a typical Welsh chapel.
The school room has seen many commercial and educational uses over the decades. Among these uses was a saddlery, which made, repaired and sold tack for horses.
Today the first floor houses the offices of Morgan & Horowskyj Architects, which specialises in restoration of historic buildings. The Geraldine Harris School of Dance occupies the ground floor.
The land in this vicinity was a fort in Roman times, looking out over the river meadow.
Postcode: NP7 5EE