Old Town Hall, Pwllheli

Old Town Hall, Pwllheli

A building called the Guildhall was recorded on this site in 1731. It was rebuilt c.1820 with premises for the town council on the first floor and a market hall below. There was a jail in the basement, where the cells survive. The clock tower was added later that century.

The building was a venue for concerts, auctions and other events. A meeting held here in February 1876 was cut short after a violent reaction from some of the audience. It was convened to show support for the “Church and State”. The Rev Ellis Osborne Williams, vicar of Pwllheli, was among the clergy who spoke in favour of the Establishment (the connection between the Church of England and monarchy). The speakers were frequently interrupted and eventually some of the audience took the platform “by storm”. The press reported fighting and chairs being hurled, and it was with difficulty that “the ladies were got out safe”.

The Anglican clergy were escorted from the hall. Two Nonconformist ministers then proposed a resolution in favour of disestablishing the church, which was carried enthusiastically. It was not until 1920 that the Church in Wales was disestablished.

In the 1890s Bangor university lecturer Rev John Owen gave a series of talks on farming at the town hall. This enabled farmers from the Llŷn Peninsula to learn about agricultural methods and developments.

In spring 1902 the town council moved to the new town hall, now known as Neuadd Dwyfor, just a few doors away. In November 1902 the council placed the building for sale. It was bought by Pwllheli Liberal Club.

Today the Old Town Hall is again home to the town council.

Postcode: LL53 5DH    View Location Map

Website of Pwllheli Town Council