Osborne House, built in 1851, is the only dressed-stone building along Llandudno promenade. It was designed as high quality gentleman’s residence but was first occupied by a boarding school run by two ladies, the Misses Williams.
The drawing on the right shows this area of Llandudno in the early 1850s, with Osborne House ringed. This view, from the lower slopes of the Great Orme, was transformed soon afterwards with the development of the promenade.
From 1883, Osborne House was the home of John Walker, brother of Andrew Walker of Liverpool art gallery fame. John Walker inherited his wealth from the Walker brewing family, more recently known as Tetley Walker brewery. He died in 1913, leaving Osborne House in trust to his wife. The building passed to his son, John Arthur Walker (pictured left), who was killed at Ypres, Belgium, in 1916 while serving as a Captain in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. There is a three-light stained-glass window memorial to him in St George’s Church, Llandudno. He is commemorated at Llandudno war memorial, near Osborne House.
The house has been remodelled by its present owners, the Maddocks family, in a style which reflects the fashions of the 1850s. It opened in 2001 as a luxury hotel with six suites.
With thanks to John Lawson-Reay, of the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay History Society
Postcode: LL30 2LP
|This Hi-Point Page
is sponsored by:
| Empire Hotel,
Llandudno, LL30 2HE
|Tel: (01492) 860555|
|Restaurants, health spa, gym, sauna, indoor heated swimming pool and outdoor splash pool|