Pilgrim’s Way mural, Greenfield
This ceramic mural marks the starting point, at the ruins of Basingwerk Abbey, of the North Wales Pilgrim’s Way. It depicts features and landscapes along the route to Bardsey Island, off the western tip of the Llŷn Peninsula.
The mural was unveiled in March 2013. It was created by young people from across North Wales with guidance from ceramic sculptor Neil Dalrymple. Participants from Ysgol Syr Huw Owen in Caernarfon, The Kids Fun Club, Ysgol Plas Cefndy and Project 11 in Rhyl each made and glazed a section of the mural. The project was managed and organised by Groundwork North Wales, with funding from the Arts Council for Wales and supported by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government.
Basingwerk Abbey was founded by the order of Savigny in 1131. The buildings were later remodelled substantially, centred on a church whose foundations were in the shape of a cross. South of the church was a group of monastic buildings around an open square. The complex also featured a hospital, guest accommodation and buildings related to the farming which sustained the abbey.
In 1536, Parliament ordered the closure of monasteries, abbeys and other religious houses in Wales and England. The Dissolution of the Monasteries followed King Henry VIII’s decision to sever his country’s religious allegiance to the Pope in Rome. Buildings at Basingwerk Abbey were stripped of their roofs, and precious lead from the abbey was taken to Holt Castle, near Wrexham, and Dublin Castle. Today the ruins are in the care of Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic monuments agency.
Also near the mural is the entrance to Greenfield Valley museum and farm, which features local historic buildings and vintage farm machinery.
Postcode: CH8 7GH