Pontarddulais war memorial
Pontarddulais war memorial
This memorial was erected in the 1920s to commemorate the men of the district who had died in the First World War. The Royal British Legion later paid for the names of the Second World War dead to be added. To discover who they were, choose a category below.
You can read more about each of the individuals on Steven John's West Wales war memorials website.
One soldier named on the memorial is David Cuthbert Thomas, son of the rector of Llanedy and close friend of war poets Siegfried Sassoon and Robert Graves. Both mentioned David in their writings after his death in France in 1916, an event which angered Sassoon.
The memorial features an angel carved from Sicilian marble. Inscribed on one side is the following englyn (a form of short Welsh verse):
Erch ddylif y gofwy
Rho dy drem ar dy dramwy
Dirnad werth eu haberth hwy.
Beneath the Second World War names is a short line of cynghanedd (alliterative poetic form):
Prof Dai Thorne kindly provides the following translations:
to staunch the grim deluge of armageddon.
Reflect on your life;
think on the price of their sacrifice.
From cruel carnage to everlasting peace.
With thanks to Steven John for research and to Prof Dai Thorne for the translation. Also to Hannah Hopkins and her Year 8 pupils at Pontarddulais Comprehensive School
Postcode: SA4 8TH View Location Map
Where shown below, click this icon for more details:
First World War
- John Ash, Private, G/4521, Middlesex Regiment. Son of Amos and Elizabeth Ash of Combe Florey, Somerset. Died 28 September 1915 aged 27. Loos Memorial.
- Francis George Banwell, Private, 20815, Welsh Regiment. Son of Francis and Julia Banwell of Bungalow, Bridge Street. Died 11 November 1919 aged 24.
- Herbert Granville Bebell, Acting Bombardier, 38014, Royal Field Artillery. Son of Frederick John and Anne Bebell of Cardiff. Died 30 May 1915 aged 30. Buried at Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension.
- William George Bolch, Private, 49847, Lancashire Fusiliers. Son of George and Mary Ann Bolch. Died 7 August 1918 aged 41. Buried Outtersteene Communal Cemetery.
- John Bowen, Private, 59427, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of Thomas and Mary Bowen of Maes-y-Bryn, Clynderwen. Died 12 September 1918 aged 22. Buried Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery.
- Ernest William Burridge. Private, 265775, Welsh Regiment. Son of William Henry Burridge and Jessie Burridge of Crediton, Devon. Died 27 October 1917 aged 29. Buried Dozinghem Military Cemetery.
- Frederick Thomas Cleave, Private, 33490, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Joses and Emma Cleave of Bedminster, Somerset. Died 4 September 1916 aged 35. Thiepval Memorial.
- Walter David Dalby, Driver, 84317, Royal Field Artillery. Son of David Walter Dalby and Sarah Hannah Dalby, of Forest Gate, London. Died 4 July 1918 aged 19. Buried Woodgrange Park Cemetery, East Ham. Awarded the Military Medal. Worked as a tinplater in Pontarddulais before enlisting while underage.
- Arthur Thomas Davies, Able Seaman, Z/3581, Royal Navy – SS Bristol City. Son of John and Gwladys Davies of 3, River Terrace, Llanedy. Died 16 December 1917 aged 20. Plymouth Naval Memorial.
- Daniel Davies, Private, 15915, Welsh Regiment. Died 2 April 1916. Buried Le Touret Military Cemetery.
- George Davies, Sapper, 448501, Royal Engineers. Son of Thomas Davies of Carreglas, Cross Hands; husband of Mrs. Davies of Glynllwchwr Road. Died 1 August 1918. Buried Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery.
- Nathaniel Davies, Private, 20927, Welsh Regiment. Son of Edward and Catherine Davies, of 2, Market Street, Lampeter. Died 9 March 1916 aged 19. Buried Guards Cemetery.
- Samuel Mathias Davies, Private, 37569, Welsh Regiment. Son of Benjamin and Jane Davies. Died 21 April 1916 aged 20. Buried Amara War Cemetery.
- Thomas Ellison, Private, 13176, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Hugh and Elizabeth Ellison; husband of Sarah Ellison of Golden Grove, Goppa. Died 4 October 1917 aged 30. Buried Menin Road South Military Cemetery.
- David Evans, Master, Mercantile Marine – SS Thornaby. Husband of MA Evans of 3, Harries Avenue, Old Road, Llanelly. Died 1 March 1916 aged 61. Tower Hill Memorial.
- David John Evans, Private, 220, Welsh Guards. Son of David and Anne Evans of 7, Harleyford Road, Hendy. Died 31 July 1917 aged 24. Buried Duhallow ADS Cemetery. Brother of Trevor Lewis Evans, below.
- Llewellyn Evans, Pioneer, 62948, Royal Engineers. Son of William Henry and Helen Evans of Glan-yr-afon, Pentreffynon, Skewen. Died 26 March 1918 aged 20. Buried Merville Communal Cemetery Extension.
- Sidney William Evans, Private, 18699, Welsh Regiment. Son of Thomas and Eva Evans of 20 Garn Goch Terrace, Garden Village, Gorseinon, Swansea. Died 25 September 1915 aged 18. Loos Memorial.
- Trevor Lewis Evans, Trooper, 3412, Household Cavalry. Son of David and Ann Evans, of 1, Sawel Terrace, Llanedi. Died 7 February 1918 aged 22. Buried Tincourt New British Cemetery. Brother of David John Evans, above.
- Walter James Evans, Private, 12721, Devonshire Regiment. Son of James and Sarah Evans of 5, Brynlliw Cottages, Grovesend. Died 16 February 1916 aged 21. Buried Corbie Communal Cemetery.
- William Auryn Evans, Private, 39508, Welsh Regiment. Son of John and Hannah Evans. Died 9 November 1917 aged 19. Tyne Cot Memorial.
- William John Evans, Private, PO/748/S, Royal Marine Light Infantry. Son of William and Jane Evans of Maes-y-Brawdd. Died 27 September 1918 aged 22. Buried Sucrerie British Cemetery.
- Albert Richard Griffiths, Private, 430453, Canadian Pioneers. Son of Edward and Ruth Griffiths of Pistyllgwyn. Died 3 July 1916 aged 26. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.
- David Daniel Griffiths, Private, 19886, Welsh Regiment. Son of David and Elizabeth Griffiths of Glanyrafon Road. Died 5 December 1917 aged 31. Buried Etretat Churchyard.
- Ivor Griffiths, Private, 241790, Welsh Regiment. Son of Griffith and Hannah Griffiths of Henfaes, Glanyrafon Road. Died 26 March 1917 aged 25. Jerusalem Memorial.
- Joseph Harrop Griffiths, Second Engineer, Mercantile Marine – SS Daybreak. Son of David Griffiths and Charlotte Griffiths of Brondeg. Died 24 December 1917 aged 23. Tower Hill Memorial.
- Matthew Henry Griffiths, Private, 12550, Welsh Regiment. Son of William John and Elizabeth Anne Griffiths. Died 24 July 1917 aged 22. Buried Dozinghem Military Cemetery.
- William John Griffiths, Private, 11200, Welsh Regiment. Son of Tom and Ann Griffiths of 6, Highland Terrace. Died 1 October 1915 aged 22. Buried Lapugnoy Military Cemetery.
- David George Harries, Private, 203, Canadian Infantry. Son of Rees and Ann Harries of Bolgoed. Died 17 January 1915 aged 34. Buried Winnipeg (Brookside Cemetery) Manitoba.
- William Harts, Private, 12621, Welsh Regiment. Husband of Lydia Harts of 24, Williams Street. Died 21 December 1914 aged 32. Le Touret Memorial.
- Daniel Idwal Hopkins, Second Lieutenant, South Wales Borderers. Son of David and Mary Hopkins of 13, Oakfield Street. Died 23 April 1917 aged 27. Arras Memorial.
- Albert House, Private, 17938, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Son of George and Eliza House, of Thatcham, Berkshire. Died 26 April 1917 aged 34. Buried Sarigol Military Cemetery.
- John Thomas Howells, Sapper, 79886, Royal Engineers. Son of Thomas John and Margaret Howells of Craig Cefn Parc, Swansea. Died 4 October 1918 aged 36. Buried Anneux British Cemetery. Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal.
- Thomas Hughes, Private, 12874, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Thomas and Frances Hughes of Myrtle House, Mynyddllno. Died 13 March 1915 aged 22. Le Touret Memorial.
- William Hughes, Private, 20750, Welsh Regiment. Son of Thomas and Hannah Hughes of Sardis Cottage, Llanedy. Died 7 September 1917 aged 36. Tyne Cot Memorial.
- Albert Ince, Private, 18230, South Wales Borderers. Son of John and Elizabeth Ince of 90, Maroon Street, Stepney, London. Died 22 February 1916 aged 28. Buried St. Mary's ADS Cemetery.
- Brinley Jenkins, Private, 69634, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of Philip and Margaret Ann Jenkins of The Bungalow, Graigfawr. Died 15 October 1918 aged 21. Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial.
- John Jenkins, Stoker, 341736, Royal Navy – HMS Ariadne. Son of David and Sarah Jenkins. Died 26 July 1917 aged 39. Buried Rhydgoch Cemetery.
- David John Jeremiah, Private, 12967, Devonshire Regiment. Son of John and Mary Jeremiah of Morriston. Died 6 August 1917 aged 24. Buried Mendinghem Military Cemetery.
- David John Jones, Private, 29045, South Wales Borderers. Son of Evan and Rachel Jones of Allt y Coed House, Bolgoed Street. Died 28 January 1917 aged 33. Buried Pontarddulais (St. Teilo) Churchyard.
- Griffith Elphin Jones, Cadet, Mercantile Marine – RMS Burutu. Son of Griffith and Catherine Jones of Capel Newydd, Hendy. Died 3 October 1918 aged 17. Bother of Richard Alun Jones, below.
- Idris Jones, Private, 12752, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Morgan and Sarah Jones of Ashgrove House, Tynybone. Died 9 May 1915 aged 23. Ploegsteert Memorial.
- Isaac George Jones, Private, 29097, South Wales Borderers. Son of William and Helen Jones. Died 20 June 1917 aged 41. Buried Pontarddulais (St. Teilo) Churchyard.
- John Haydn Jones, Driver, 25807, Royal Engineers. Son of James and Catherine Jones. Died 29 April 1915 aged 19. Buried Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery.
- Matthew George Jones, Trimmer, 2677ST, Royal Navy – HMPMS Ascot. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Jones of Harddfan Harleyford Road, Hendy. Died 10 November 1918 aged 21. Plymouth Naval Memorial. His ship, a minesweeper, was the Royal Navy’s last loss in the war.
- Richard Alun Jones, Second Lieutenant, Tank Corps. Son of Reverend Griffith and Catherine Jones of Capel Newydd, Hendy. Died 20 November 1917 aged 20. Buried Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery. Brother of Griffith Elphin Jones, above.
- William Jones, Private, 53295, Cheshire Regiment. Son of William and Mary Jones of Felinfoel House, Coed Bach. Died 8 April 1918 aged 42. Ploegsteert Memorial.
- William John Jones, Private, 12754, Devonshire Regiment. Son of David and Mary Jones of Pontarddulais. Died 11 March 1915 aged 19. Le Touret Memorial.
- George William Kimber, Sapper, 256656, Royal Engineers. Son of John and Susan Kimber of Caversham, Oxfordshire. Husband of Florence Kimber. Died 23 July 1917 aged 27. Buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.
- Thomas Lewis. Possibly: John Thomas Lewis, Private, 184898, Machine Gun Corps. Son of John and Sarah Lewis of Ddolbren Forest, Pontarddulais.
- David Matthews, Private, 12963, Devonshire Regiment. Son of David and Ann Matthews of Graigfawr. Died 1 July 1916 aged 26. Thiepval Memorial.
- William McDonald, Private, 594, Connaught Rangers. Died 23 August 1915. Helles Memorial.
- David Llewellyn Morgan, Private, 50300, Welsh Regiment. Son of John and Margaret Morgan of Thistle Villa, Alltiago Road, Pontarddulais. Died 9 November 1917 aged 24. Tyne Cot Memorial.
- George Mayberry Morgan, Gunner, 95069, Royal Field Artillery. Son of Enoch Mayberry Morgan and Bertha Morgan. Died 5 September 1918 aged 23. Buried Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery.
- William Morris, Corporal, 20749, Welsh Regiment. Died 27 February 1917. Buried Mendinghem Military Cemetery.
- David John Owen, Private, 7606, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Mrs Harris, of Arasfan, Loughor Road, Pontarddulais. Died 18 July 1916 aged 24. Loos Memorial.
- George Palmer, Driver, 92455, Royal Field Artillery. Son of William and Mary Palmer of 1, Green Terrace, Hendy. Died 26 July 1915. Aged 20. Buried Ari Burnu Cemetery, Turkey.
- William John Parry, Gunner, 254, Royal Garrison Artillery. Son of Thomas and Hannah Parry of 9, New Road, Cilfrew. Died 27 April 1916 aged 21. Buried Merville Communal Cemetery.
- Charles William Morris Perks, Private, 200924, Welsh Regiment. Son of Charles Rees Perks and Elizabeth Perks of Llandeilo. Husband of Blodwen Morris of 1, Pleasant Villas, Glynhir. Died 3 November 1917 aged 23. Buried Beersheba War Cemetery.
- David Emrys Peters, Gunner, 114164, Royal Garrison Artillery. Son of Isaac and Elizabeth Peters of 4, Coedsaeson Crescent, Sketty; husband of Elizabeth Peters of Pontarddulais. Died 5 July 1916 aged 29. Buried Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery.
- Thomas Henry Phillips, Gunner, 3187, Royal Field Artillery. Son of William and Mary Phillips of Bryngwili Road, Hendy. Died 31 July 1917 aged 23. Buried Dozinghem Military Cemetery.
- James Price, Stoker, 2678ST, Royal Naval Reserve. Son of John and Eleanor Price of Harleyford Road, Hendy. Died 10 November 1918 aged 21. Plymouth Naval Memorial.
- Frederick Purchase, Private, 13039, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry. Husband of Hannah Purchase of 3, Grove Terrace, Glanyravon Road. Died 17 August 1918 aged 33 Buried Karasouli Military Cemetery.
- Walter Rees, Private, 1457, Welsh Guards. Son of David and Ann Rees of 4, Bryn Row. Died 6 August 1916 aged 36. Buried Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.
- David Richards, Corporal, 25551, Welsh Regiment. Husband of Elizabeth Richards of 23 Hope Street. Died 28 July 1917 aged 27. Buried Bard Cottage Cemetery.
- Benjamin Richardson, Private, G/63802, Middlesex Regiment. Son of Mrs. Isabella A. Roberts of 171, Howard Street, Iffley Road, Oxford. Died 22 August 1918 aged 22. Vis-en-Artois Memorial.
- Richard Harry Sampson, Lieutenant, Welsh Regiment. Son of Richard Harry and Eliza Louisa Sampson. Died 29 October 1918 aged 27. Buried Etaples Military Cemetery.
- Charles Sandford. Possibly: Private, 37826, Gloucestershire Regiment. Died 22 April 1917 aged 26. Arras Memorial.
- George William Sloper, Private, 17789, Welsh Regiment. Son of George and Laura Sloper of 54, Ashley Down Road, Horfield, Bristol. Died 27 January 1916 aged 20. Buried St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery.
- Edwin Edward Smith, Sergeant, 558038, Royal Engineers. Son of George and Clara Smith of 21, Moring Road, Tooting, London. Died 30 November 1917 aged 37. Buried Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery.
- Joseph Henry Smith, Private, 12479, Somerset Light Infantry. Son of Thomas and Sarah Smith of Wem, Shropshire. Died 11 June 1915 aged 28. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.
- David Cuthbert Thomas, Second Lieutenant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of Reverend Evan and Ethelinda Thomas, of Llanedy Rectory, Pontarddulais. Died 18 March 1916 aged 20. Buried New Military Cemetery, Fricourt, France. David was a close friend of war poets Siegfried Sassoon and Robert Graves, who mentioned him in several works. The anger Sassoon felt after his death led to the poet earning the Military Cross after several excursions into German territory. Robert Graves’ poem Not Dead was penned in David’s memory.
- James Edward Stallard Thomas, Private, M/305649, Royal Army Service Corps. Son of David and Maria Martha Thomas of Factory Road. Died 27 February 1918 aged 21. Buried Rhydgoch Cemetery.
- James Samuel Trow, Private, 612319, London Regiment. Son of James and Sarah Trow. Died 4 December 1917 aged 24. Buried Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension.
- Albert Edward Ward, Private, 235597, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of William and Sarah Ann Ward of The Cottage; husband of Florence Ward. Died 4 November 1918 aged 33. Buried Englefontaine British Cemetery.
- James White. Son of Richard and Minnie White of The Huts, Pontlliw.
- Albert Ernest Williams, Able Seaman, 218031, Royal Navy – HMS Good Hope. Husband of Helen Williams of 5, Williams Street. Died 1 November 1914 aged 29. Portsmouth Naval Memorial, Hampshire.
- David Daniel Williams, Private, 12753, Devonshire Regiment. Son of Thomas and Margaret Williams, and the brother of Mrs. Catherine Ann Hopkins of 16, Dantwyn Road. Died 25 March 1918 aged 26. Pozieres Memorial, France. Awarded the Military Medal.
- Ivor Carlyle Williams, Private, 66193, Cheshire Regiment. Son of John and Eleanor Williams of 11, William's Street. Died 29 April 1918 aged 19. Buried Esquelbecq Military Cemetery.
- Oswald Williams, Ordinary Seaman, Z/5339, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Son of Thomas and Anne Williams of Penny Bank, Graigfawr. Died 5 October 1918 aged 18. Buried Pontarddulais (Goppa) Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard.
- Thomas Jenkins Williams, Private, 14789, East Lancashire Regiment. Son of Jenkin and Rebecca Williams of Plas-Isaf, Waungron. Died 12 September 1918 aged 30. Buried Pont d'Achelles Military Cemetery, Nieppe.
- Trevor Lewis Williams, Lieutenant, Royal Air Force. Son of Thomas and Margaret Williams of Ynys House. Died 1 January 1919 aged 21. Buried Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery.
Second World War
- Arnold, Herbert Thomas Hinkin, Lieutenant 247136. Died 23/09/1944 aged 22. Royal Welch Fusiliers attached to North Staffordshire Regiment. Buried Florence War Cemetery. Son of Walter and Lilian Arnold. Held BA from Oxford, where he received a Blue for Association Football.
- Bevan, Thomas Ralph, Sergeant (Air Gunner) 1317942. Died between 24/09/1942 and 25/09/1942 aged 19. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Frederikshavn Cemetery. Son of John and Annie Bevan.
- Beynon, Elvie, Leading Aircraftman 523511. Died 05/04/1940. Royal Air Force. Runnymede Memorial.
- Bishop, Gordon Morris, Gunner 980264. Died 31/08/1943 aged 23. Royal Artillery. Buried Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery.
- Clee, Reginald Owen, Warrant Officer 1068617. Died 27/07/1944 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Malta Memorial. Son of Lewis John and Elsie Margaret Clee of Pontlliw. Held BSc from University of Wales.
- Davies, Evan John Britten Ieuan, Craftsman 3910462. Died 20/04/1944. Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Buried Rhydgoch Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs WH Davies.
- Davies, Graham, Warrant Officer (Radio Operator) 964498. Died 08/06/1944 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Rhydgoch Cemetery. Son of William Idris and Mary Davies.
- Davies, Philip Edward, Flight Sergeant 1317450. Died 30/03/1944 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Alamein Memorial. Son of William Thomas and Emily Maria Davies.
- Davies, William Daniel Roydon, Sergeant (Air Gunner) 967345. Died 20/12/1943 aged 24. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Durnbach War Cemetery. Son of Maldwyn and Mary Hannah Davies.
- Davies, Lewis Randolph, Private 14670492. Died 01/10/1944 aged 19. Welch Regiment. Buried Uden War Cemetery. Son of Trevor and Mary Davies of Pontlliw.
- Davies, Vincent Howell, Fusilier 4198779. Died 06/05/1944 aged 26. Royal Welch Fusiliers. Rangoon Memorial. Son of Stephen and Sarah Davies.
- Edmunds, Douglas George, Private 3963251. Died 09/09/1943 aged 26. Hampshire Regiment. Buried Salerno War Cemetery. Son of Thomas Rees and Mary Jane Edmunds; husband of Evelyne Edmunds of Hendy.
- Evans, John Davies Cross, Sergeant (Pilot) 742933. Died 07/10/1940 aged 26. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Pontardawe (All Saints) Churchyard. Son of David Daniel and Catherine Evans.
- Gale, Reginald Edward, Signalman 2658267. Died 17/04/1945 aged 28. Royal Corps of Signals. Buried Becklingen War Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs William H Gale.
- Gill, James.
- Griffiths, Selwyn, Petty Officer D/JX 128350. Died 22/05/1941 aged 31. Royal Navy - HMS Gloucester. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Taliesin and Maud Griffiths; husband of Doreen Griffiths of Perranporth, Cornwall.
- Harries, Emlyn, Serjeant T/91304. Died 21/09/1944 aged 29. Royal Army Service Corps. Singapore Memorial. Son of Thomas W and A Harries.
- Harries, Glyn, Aircraftman 1st Class 1315784. Died 06/03/1944 aged 22. Royal Air Force. Buried Guelph (Woodlawn) Memorial Park. Son of Thomas and Katherine Harries; husband of Reta Harries of Guelph.
- Hughes, William Handel, Second Radio Officer. Died 19/08/1944 aged 27. Merchant Navy - SS Wayfarer (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Mr and Mrs James Hughes.
- James, Elvet, Private 6102775. Died 14/11/1942 aged 30. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey). Alamein Memorial. Son of William and Mary James; husband of Edith Mary Cavell James of Loughor.
- James, David Warren, Master. Died 28/02/1941 aged 50. Merchant Navy - SS Anchises (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Awarded King's Commendation for Brave Conduct. Son of Captain John James of New Quay, Cardiganshire; husband of Sarah Morfydd James.
- Jones, Hilton, Flight Sergeant 965692. Died 19/10/1941 aged 20. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Runnymede Memorial. Son of Mabel Jones.
- Kirby, Morris, Private 7356931. Died 10/07/1943 aged 23. Royal Army Medical Corps. Cassino Memorial.
- Lewis, Howard Brinley, Private 3911446. Died 05/08/1944 aged 27. South Wales Borderers. Buried Taukkyan War Cemetery. Son of Jenkin and Polly Lewis; husband of Pearl Louisa Lewis of Llangennech, Carmarthenshire.
- Lewis, Thomas Harold, Trooper 14427411. Died 21/10/1944 aged 19. Royal Tank Regiment. Buried Uden War Cemetery.
- Michael, John Raymond Madoc, Second Lieutenant 96052. Died 02/08/1940. Welch Regiment. Buried Pontarddulais (St Teilo) Churchyard. Son of David and Jennie Michael.
- Mitchell, Richard James, Lance Sergeant 2734611. Died 12/02/1944 aged 25. Royal Artillery. Buried Anzio War Cemetery. Son of Mary Mitchell; husband of Edith Gwendoline Mitchell.
- Morgan, John, Private 3915890. Died 16/02/1945 aged 22. South Wales Borderers. Buried Taukkyan War Cemetery.
- Phillips, Glyn, Sergeant 630457. Died 17/08/1942 aged 22. Royal Air Force. Runnymede Memorial. Son of Rees William and Eleanor Amy Phillips, of Broughton.
- Price, William Bertrand Donald, Private B/42194. Died 18/08/1944. Canadian Infantry. Bayeux Memorial.
- Purchase, Joseph, Corporal 3957278. Died 08/12/1943 aged 34. Welch Regiment. Buried Ancona War Cemetery. Son of Frederick and Hannah Purchase; husband of Catherine Jane Purchase of Hendy.
- Roberts, Thomas John Foster, Lieutenant 203580. Died 27/06/1944 aged 23. Royal Engineers. Buried St Manvieu War Cemetery. Son of Christopher and Mary Roberts of Llanelli.
- Schroeder, Arthur Rees, Sergeant 2192663. Died 03/09/1943 aged 22. Royal Engineers. Buried Salerno War Cemetery. Son of George and Annie Schroeder; husband of Rene Schroeder. M.I.C.E.
- Scott, William John Ryland, Sergeant (Air Gunner) 2221348. Died 08/02/1945 aged 22. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Poznan Old Garrison Cemetery. Son of Edward Henry and Dilys Irene Scott.
- Thomas, Benjamin, Gunner 1482117. Died 29/11/1939 aged 55. Royal Artillery. Buried Pontarddulais (St Teilo) Churchyard. Son of Thomas and Polly Thomas; husband of Mary Esther Thomas.
- Thomas, Glyn, Captain. Died 25/06/1944 aged 31. Royal Marines. Buried Hermanville War Cemetery. Awarded B.A. (Hons.). Son of John and Caroline Thomas; husband of Elinor Annie Thomas of Loughor.
- Walters, Evan William Clifford, Corporal 551094. Died 01/06/1941 aged 31. Royal Armoured Corps - Nottinghamshire Yeomanry. Buried Suda Bay War Cemetery. Son of Dan Morris and Mary Elizabeth Walters; husband of Megan Walters.
- Waters, Johnny, Marine PLY/X 101624. Died 23/10/1943 aged 29. Royal Marines - HMS Charybdis. Buried St. Brieuc Western Communal Cemetery. Son of Lewis and Sarah Ann Waters; husband of Jenny Waters.
- Williams, David Coslett, Volunteer. Died 01/06/1941. Home Guard - 8th Glamorganshire (Gorseinon) Battalion. Buried Pontlliw (Carmel) Baptist Chapelyard. Husband of Mary Annie Williams.
- Williams, David Frederick, Private 4202274. Died 02/03/1945 aged 23. Worcestershire Regiment. Rangoon Memorial. Son of Thomas and Mary Williams.
- Williams, John Penry, Chief Steward. Died 24/03/1942 aged 48. Merchant Navy - MV Empire Steel (Liverpool). Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Roderick and Mary Williams; husband of Jessie Victoria Williams of Hendy.
- Williams, Leslie, Private 4696482. Died 12/08/1943 aged 23. Pioneer Corps. Buried Catania War Cemetery. Son of David and Lydia Williams of West End, Doncaster.
- Williams, Leslie Alexander, Sergeant (Air Gunner) 1897783. Died 05/01/1945 aged 28. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Hotton War Cemetery. Son of Emrys and Louisa Williams; husband of Edith Williams.
- Wright, Robert Graham, Pilot Officer (Air Gunner) 142491. Died 30/03/1943 aged 19. Royal Air Force. Buried Vlieland General Cemetery. Son of Robert and Harriet Wright of Pontlliw.
- Yerbury, Ronnie Henry, Private NX66145. Died 01/07/1942 aged 23. Australian Infantry. Buried Rabaul Memorial. Son of Edgar Charles and Annie Catherine Yerbury. Enlisted in 1940 at Paddington, New South Wales.