Pwllheli lifeboat station

link_to_welsh_translation link_to_french_translation

Pwllheli lifeboat station

A lifeboat was established at Pwllheli in 1891. The original boathouse had doors at both ends, for launching into the harbour or into the sea via the beach. The boathouse was not used for the lifeboat from 1930 to 1953, while the lifeboat was kept at a harbour mooring. Siltation at the harbour mouth led to a decision to revert to the practice of keeping the boat on land and launching it using a wheeled carriage.

In 1964 an inshore lifeboat station was established, with a D-class lifeboat. In 1997 a new D-class boat, City of Chester, entered service after fundraising by the City of Chester. In 1990 the tractor house was rebuilt for a new tractor and new Mersey-class lifeboat, with a viewing platform incorporated in the design.

In 2007 a framed letter of thanks was presented to helmsman Andrew Green, and letters of recognition to crew members Stephen Glyn Jones and Carl Summersgill, after the rescue of 50 sailors from 17 dinghies caught in a storm while taking part in a sailing championship.

The lifeboat service in the UK is provided not by government but by the RNLI, a charity which relies on donations from the public. Since it was established in 1824, the RNLI is estimated to have saved c.140,000  lives. It employs some crew members but most, 40,000 in total, are volunteers who leave their work, families or beds whenever their lifeboat is needed.

FOOTNOTES: More Pwllheli rescues

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL53 5AY

RNLI on HistoryPoints.org

RNLI website

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button